13 things I enjoy doing in my spare time…
Although I haven’t done much of these things lately, these are the things that I do to unwind when I need a break from work or stress…
1. Write. I think this is a total duh. It may frustrate me at time with characters changing plots and putting up roadblocks but I love it and I couldn’t imagine not doing it.
2. Read. Another duh. Last week alone I bought $70 worth of books. I’ve been on a book buying binge I suppose. Most of the time I can only read whil waiting for the bus, on the bus… or at Country Style when I’m not busy and I’m caught up with what I have to do.
3. Paint. I love to paint. I’m not all that bad at it, but it’s def something I miss doing. I’ve even bought paint and canvases not too long ago but I just haven’t been able to find the time to do it. I mostly paint fantasy.
4. Horseback ride. Another thing I haven’t done since schedules have changed everywhere, not just mine. I just started to learn last summer so I’m not that bad at it but I enjoy it. It’s peaceful when you go on trail rides. I’m a bit nervous when the horse first decides to take off at a trot but I’m doing better at it and the whole feeling as though I’m going to fall off.
5. Watch movies. Romance chick flicks. Action. Thrillers. Even the occasional horror now and then. Whether it’s at home or at the movies, I enjoy losing myself in the storyline and the characters. When I move, there’s going to be a lot of movie nights with my friend Miranda. We’re already making lists of our movie night marathons… from Halloween, both for kid and adult, Xmas, Dexter (ok not a movie but still), girls night, both kid and adult…etc.
6. Spend time with friends. Ok I’ve been bad at this with everything going on. It’s hard when you don’t have much time to do something. 3-4 nights a week I don’t get home til after midnight.
7. Go for walks. Long… hikes in the country. I grew up on a 400 acre farm so I had a lot of land to wander and bush to explore. Loved it and when I have money I want to live out in the countryside. Just buy a house and eventually raise my kids on it because I don’t want them to grow up in the city.
8. Go to romancedivas forum of course! Where else would I get fantastic info and support? Only a writer can understand another writer’s frustrations and needs. Nonwriters just look at you. They don’t understand what it’s like to have characters in your head that won’t go away. They don’t understand what it’s like when one of those characters decide to change the plot. They think that you control the character. That you write the plot but it isn’t always so and to tell a nonwriter means that they look at you like you’re crazy.
9. Browse the net. Whether it’s exploring blogs or surfing the net for articles that would help me later on with characters and plots, I’m not picky. I particularly love anthro and biology articles but my interests are all over the map, including the paranormal.
10. Spend time with animals… whether it’s my hedgehog or whatever.
11. Roadtrips. I love them. Long roadtrips, whether we get lost or not. Some of my favourite memories are of getting lost with friends. I have a tendency of daydreaming/fantasizing when I’m in a vehicle. I just look out the window and let my imagination get away with me, much to the annoyance sometimes of friends because I’m so quiet.
12. Games. Especially card games with friends. Drinking games are often fun.
13. And how can I forget hanging out with family? Everyone knows that family is important. I love them… so I can’t wait to go home to visit in a few weeks.