Thursday 13– 13 Random Odd news I’ve heard lately…
1. A Chinese elephant fed heroin-laced bananas by illegal poachers was finally declared drug-free after three years of detox, according to Chinese state media reports. The elephant, dubbed “Xiguag” or “Big Brother,” was treated with methadone shots five times stronger than those given to human addicts.
2. Bella the cat went for a 70-mile ride, precariously perched on the spare tire under owner Gil Smith’s truck. Smith drove for 2 1/2 hours before he stopped and heard her frantic meows. Bella was shaky and tired, but otherwise fine.
3. Why get married in a church or a hall when the local funeral home is available? A Michigan bride and groom say “I do” at the facility where he works as funeral director.
4. Residents of Hoschton, Ga, are striving to break the Guinness World Record for the number of scarecrows in one place. Depictions of Elvis, the “Wizard of Oz,” Jesus and the University of Georgia football team are among those scattered around town.
5. Two men on a raft of junk ended a 3-month journey from Long Beach, Ca. to Honolulu Wednesday. They aimed to raise awareness about debris polluting the Pacific Ocean.
6. What’s cooking in Cambodia? A dish of spicy field rat is on the menu for more and more families. The price of rat meat in the country has risen sharply as inflation has put other meat beyond the reach of poor people.
7. More than 200 years after she was beheaded, Anna Goeldi was exonerated Wednesday of witchcraft charges. Goeldi was put to death in 1782, making her the last person executed in Europe for witchcraft. The Swiss village of Mollis, where she was killed, is now home to a museum on Goeldi.
8. Police in Port St. Lucie are on the lookout for a cross-dressing man who snatched a 74-year-old woman’s purse. As if that weren’t odd enough, they’re depending on a strange clue. The suspect left behind a condom filled with water he had been using as a fake breast.
9. China’s Bao Xishun reclaimed the title of the world’s tallest man after Leonid Stadnik of Ukraine refused to be measured under new guidelines from Guinness World Records. Bao is 7 feet, 8.95 inches.
10. A curious cow and a young wild bear touched noses and hung out together in a pasture before the bear dashed off with the cow in pursuit, neighbors said. But whether the cow was chasing off the bear or just wanted to play is a matter of debate.
11. An 8-foot mechanical gorilla standing outside a flea market store could move its arms but not much else, and it was heavy. Now it’s disappeared in broad daylight.
12. A man nicknamed “Humble Bob” stuffed himself with 11.5 pounds of a local specialty called chili-spaghetti in only about 10 minutes to claim victory in a holiday eating contest.
13. Meet Yoda (in pic above), a cat born with an extra pair of ears. Chicago, Illinois, couple Valerie and Ted Rock took the cat in two years ago after they visited a local bar, where a group of drinkers were handing the animal around and making fun of him.